We’re packing our flannel and headed to Creation Entertainment’s Supernatural Convention in Charlotte, NC! Random Acts will be in attendance at the Embassy Suites Charlotte August 24-26. You can find our staffers Jennifer Willis-Rivera and Jean Hayes hanging out in the main vendors hall. Come share your own #getkind stories, or check out some of our goodies and games! This year, Random Acts will be collecting needed items for A Child’s Place.
About A Child’s Place
Serving Mecklenburg County, this organization is working to erase the impact homelessness has on children and their education. This includes 4,711 children from 176 schools spread out over 526 square miles. Their focus is on reaching out to families at the point of crisis when they lose their home, and shepherd the children to ensure stability and focus on their education. Not only do they provide food and school supplies, they also serve as a resource center to direct families to other services that can move them from homelessness to stable housing.
Want to #getkind in Charlotte? Here’s how!
Coming to the convention and want to help? A Child’s Place is has an urgent need for the below items. If you pick up a few, you can bring them directly to the Random Acts table in the vendor’s hall. Items in bold are most urgent!
- Khaki or navy bottoms for middle schoolers (adult sizes)
- Girls’ khaki or navy pants, shorts, skirts, skorts, jumpers (Pre-K to 8th grade sizes)
- Boys’ khaki or navy pants and shorts (Pre-K to 8th grade sizes)
- Girls’ navy polo dresses
- Polo shirts in white, navy or light blue (all sizes, especially adult sizes)
- Long-sleeved polo shirts in white and navy (all sizes)
- Kids’ black or brown belts (all sizes)
- Pajamas for children and adults: all sizes
- Undergarments (girls and boys: all sizes)
Please note that only new clothing can be accepted.
- African American hair products (some brand options include: Motions, Olive Oil, Crème of Nature)
- Body wash
- Sanitary napkins/feminine products
- Tissues (boxes or travel size)
- Shampoo & Conditioner
- Hand Sanitizer
- Child-friendly products, eg. deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrushes
- Toilet paper
- Gallon-sized Ziploc bags
Please note that only unopened, full-size toiletries can be accepted.
- Air mattresses
- Diapers (all sizes)
- Baby wipes
- Paper towels
- Linens and bedding (new: sheets, pillow slips, etc)
- Bath towels/washcloths/hand towels
- Pot/pans and other kitchen utensils (new or gently used)
- Clorox wipes
- Laundry detergent (pods are preferred)
- Alarm clocks
- Luggage/duffel dags
- Reusable tote bags
- Nonperishable food boxes
- Gift cards: $30 to Walmart or Food Lion
- Individually packed/single-serving snacks (Please do not include any snacks with peanuts or peanut butter in them, to protect kids with these allergies in schools. This includes items labeled as “made in a facility with nuts or peanuts”.)
- Generic sweatshirts/hoodies
- Movie tickets/passes (AMC Theaters or Studio Movie Grill)
- $5-$10 gift cards (fast food: McDonald’s, Wendy’s, Little Caesar’s, Burger King, Pizza Hut; Wal-Mart; Dollar General)
- Long socks (Nike preferred)
- Headphones (large style)
- NFL gear (hats, sweatshirts)
- New toys
- Footballs, basketballs, soccer balls, hula hoops, jump ropes, etc.
- Calculators (including TI-84 Plus)
- Colored pencils
- Post-it notes
- Colored markers
- Dry erase markers
- USB flash drives
- 2-pocket folders
- Composition notebooks
- Index notecards
- Alphabet tracing books
- Simple math flash cards
- Activity books
- Coloring books
Please note that at this time, A Child’s Place does not need any donations of spiral notebooks, loose paper or pencils.
What if I can’t make it to Charlotte?
No problem! If you want to help out A Child’s Place directly you can make a donation on their page, or follow their twitter for more ways to help. You can also check out some local organizations in your own home town that are working to end the homelessness crisis.
Whether you’re joining us at the #SPNNC convention, or just following along at home, keep an eye on our twitter page @RandomActsOrg for updates throughout the weekend!